Tuesday, April 27, 2010

TextMate Slowness with Ruby on Rails Language Grammar

When editing an erb file, I noticed that when I escaped most of the EOL chars with <%# and put %> at beginning of the following lines, TextMate 1.5.9 (build 1510) got really slow; the beach ball just kept spinning and spinning in OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, and it appeared to be locked-up/frozen/non-responsive.

I ended up fixing this by changing the language grammar at the bottom of the TextMate window to "HTML" instead of "Ruby on Rails" for .erb files.

Note: something else to look into when TextMate is slow is the number of files in the projects you have open. Try closing projects or reducing the number of files in the project if things are slow.

No comments: